Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Our Journey Begins - The Miracle

We knew we wanted to adopt two more children, we just did not know how we were going to accomplish it. That's where we were mistaken. We were not to accomplish anything. God was going to orchestrate this entire journey.

Even so, we felt overwhelmed at the journey ahead. There is so much to do to prepare our home for two more children. Additional bedroom sets, finishing off a bathroom, making additional storage in our attic since we would lose all our closet space. So much to be done, so much money needed to do it not to mention we had not even started saving for the actual adoption. We felt "stuck" at the starting line.

Here's where God steps in ....

Mike took off one Saturday morning to get out taxes done. We anticipated a slightly larger return this year with us filing both the Federal and State adoption tax credits from our sons adoption in 2007. However, we were sorely disappointed with our tax refund for 2004, even though we had the Federal adoption tax credit that year from our daughter's adoption. So, I was not expecting too much more than normal. After Mike left, I got down on my knees and prayed to God. I layed out for Him all the reasons why this next adoption seemed so unattainable. (as if He did not already know) I told Him that if this was His will, we needed Him to provide for us. After two adoptions in the last three years and now two children we were caring for, we just did not have the money. About an hour later, I sat down on the sofa with my kids. My son comes up to me with a children's bible story book, wanting me to read to them. I opened the book to the next to the last story and began to read.

Matthew 17:24-27

One day, a tax collector told Peter, Tell Jesus he needs to pay his taxes." So Peter went to find Jesus. Jesus already knew what Peter wanted before he spoke, so he told Peter what to do. "Go to the lake and catch a fish. Open it's mouth and you will find a coin. Take the coin to the tax collector. It will be enough to pay your taxes and mine."

Without even thinking, I said to my kids, "see God will always take care of us and provide what we need." I immediately dropped the book and made a quick exit into the next room. I was beside myself. God had just spoken to me through my children and this story. I apologized over and over again for being so doubtful and not trusting in Him. I felt so unworthy of His Love. Later that morning, Mike called to tell me he had finished up with the taxes and to guess how much our return was. $14,000 dollars!!! There was dead silence on my end of the phone. I could not speak I was trembling. I said to Mike, you do not understand. This is a MIRACLE! Through a broken voice, I began to explain to him the events that had transpired after he left the house that morning. I told him that God may as well be standing right here in our house with His hands held out and saying "I told you I would take care of you". This was an answer to prayer and what I call a "blatant miracle". We now have the funds we need to get the house ready, take care of the last of the debt from Josh's adoption and have a small amount left over to start the adoption fund for the next two.

God is so mighty and amazing! Why do we ever doubt Him? Why do we ever think that the things we accomplish and the things we possess are of our own doing. He deserves ALL the GLORY!



No comments: